If you are a camping junkie, then you probably have made a list of the best generator for camping. The activity, after all, is fun and somewhat freeing. You aren’t confined to the crowded city and you can enjoy the fresh air far from the hustle and bustle of the city.
Camping, however, doesn’t have to be completely traditional. You can still enjoy electric stove (for more convenient cooking) or the luxury of the light to help you read, have fun, and enjoy your entertainment. For this purpose, you will need a generator for camping. But what are the features to consider when buying one?
Table of Contents
Camping Generator Buying Guide
You don’t necessarily have to be 100% dependant on the natural stuff. Instead of cooking the fish with fire and stick and old unused cans, why not just use your portable electric stove? Instead of having to stay in the dark, why not carrying some lamps to accompany you? You can also bring a radio for improved entertainment while in the woods. All of these are possible when you have the power source.
So, when you are about to choose the perfect camping generator, what kinds of elements to consider?
- Types of generators. Whereas most people may prefer recreational generators, you should think about your own needs and lifestyle. Recreational devices are great for campsites because they are only used occasionally. For around $220-$250, you can enjoy a gas generator with 800W to 12000W. But then again, there are still more types out there so make sure that you have done your research well.
- Wattage needs. This is a crucial matter because it determines how many items to power altogether and for how long. Keep in mind that you may choose portable generators for the camping trip – it isn’t too big, it is easy to carry and move around, and it is efficient. But then again, portable generators need to be compact – otherwise, it won’t be portable anymore. The generators usually can power 1600W to 2000W simultaneously but it is only enough to power general home devices.
- Appliances to use. The combination of the types of generators, the wattages used, and what kind of appliances to use is crucial. You need to plan the whole thing. For instance, if you only need to power up the stove and the lights, one portable generator is enough. But if you want to power up the AC, water heater, etc, you may need two portable generators. You can also consider taking turns in using the devices. Cooking now, while turning on the laptop can be done later. It depends on how you manage things.
- Noise level. Don’t forget that the noise factor is also crucial. You don’t want to buy a cheap generator that has a disturbing noise level – so disturbing that it makes you unable to sleep.
- Operational hour. A generator can generally run for 10 to 12 hours, but it depends on the type, brand, and manufacturer. Those with bigger fuel tanks can run longer. A generator that runs for 12 hours can be used to 2-3 days of camping, as long as it doesn’t operate all day long. With the main camping activity like fishing, trekking, or hiking (which aren’t done on the camping site), such a generator should be enough until you return home.
Top 5 Best Generator for RV and Camping
One of the greatest things to like this WEN 56200i generator is the super-quiet operation. It’s so quiet that you even forget that you have one running and operating. With1600 rated watts and 2000 surge watts, the generator is pretty powerful and reliable. Not only this device is great for camping, but it is also perfect for power outages, tailgates, and construction sites. No wonder if this brand is included within the list of the best generator for camping.
The generator can produce and deliver clean power that can prevent damage and operate sensitive electronics like tablets, computers, TV, or smartphones. It means that you can still tag along with your work and documents on a camping trip and enjoy working in the outdoor wilderness! The panel is pretty versatile, with one 5V USB port, one 12V DC receptacle, and two 3-prong receptacles.
The device is capable of parallel connection, especially when there is a need for 2000W (or more) power. You can simply use two generators and link them together. No need to worry, because the generator is designed for such a job so it is completely safe. The generator is pretty lightweight. This generator that packs 2000W can be easily lifted and carried around, especially since it has its carrying handle. And don’t forget the Eco mode that can save money and also fuel for the operation.
This generator is flexible because it can run on two fuel type: propane or gas. With 8.0 wheel diameter and 4-stroke engine type, this device is pretty solid and reliable. It has 4750 starting watts and 3800 running watts that can operate for 10.5 hours (on propane 20lb tank) or 9 hours (on full gas tank). The combination of touch start, Champion engine, and electric push-button start make it super easy and convenient to use the generator for your camping trip.
A lot of people claim that they like dual fuel flexibility because it gives them the easiness (and the freedom) in choosing the right fuel for the device. Aside from this factor, they also like the fact that it comes with additional features that make operation easy. You can enjoy the propane hose, the selector safety fuel switch, the touch start button, and also the included battery for the running. The noise level is also low when you see the specs and features for the device. For such a powerful and strong generator, the noise generated is pretty low. It also comes with folding handle for better portability so you shouldn’t have any problem carrying it around.
The portable generator can run for 7 hours straight even with only 50% of the fuel load – it would be 9 hours if you use the eco-throttle system. Not to mention that you can enjoy the noiseless operation that is perfect for your house backup power, site work, or trailer travel. The generator has the inverter technology to deliver cleaner and safer electric flow for the household appliances.
The generator has a very easy and convenient operation with attractive stickers of spark plug access, funnel for the oil, and such thing alike. The generator is quiet and yet it has tons of power and impressive performance. A lot of users claim that they enjoy using the generator for the camping trip for efficiency and use. No surprise for this best generator for camping!
This is another handy generator that will be super useful when camping. With 2200 peak watts and 1800 rated watts, the generator can provide power for 2 days trip. It is gas-powered and the overall weight is only 42 lbs. Yes, it is lightweight and portable, and you won’t have any problem carrying it around. Another good point about this generator is you can use it for home emergency backup and not only for the camping trip.
The combination of portable design and lightweight construction is nice. It looks nice and compact and yet it also houses a lot of power. There is also a handle that will help you with transportation and movement. The device is fuel-efficient and quiet, able to run 13 hours with 1.3 gallons of the gas tank. There is also Efficiency Mode that will help with the fuel efficiency management so the generator can run longer. As long as you can manage the operation and use, it should be good to go. What about the parallel function? Don’t worry, you can use two units by using a (separately sold) Westinghouse Inverter Parallel that can be used for plug and play. Totally convenient, isn’t it?
This device has a reliable and strong power that enables it to run and operate. With 1600 running watts and 2000 peak watts, you shouldn’t have any problem operating it. After all, it has been claimed as one of the best generators for camping, so you can enjoy all the perks and benefits.
The generator is powerful, able to run for 8 hours straight with half load of 1.18 gallons for the fuel. What’s special is that the generator is pretty portable and light, with only 47 lbs and a dimension as big as the suitcase. You can easily carry it and handle it around without any fuss or issues. What about the noise level? It is quiet and silent. Even if you are within the range of 10 feet, you won’t hear anything. It incorporates an advanced technology of stable sine wave system that will provide safe and pure power – enough to charge and power cell phones, laptop, household devices, and other (sensitive) electronic devices.
If you want to have a parallel connection, feel free to do so. Thanks to the special design (and technology), you can connect 2 units easily to increase the power. If you want a reliable device, this generator won’t disappoint you.
With these candidates of the best generator for camping, which one would you choose for your needs?