Is it possible to get reliable and the best bookshelf speakers under $200? Most people believe that the best ones are always the most expensive. Well, it can be true or wrong. The best type depends on your preference and needs. In some cases, homeowners don’t need to spend a fortune to get the best speakers and they are pretty satisfied with it. In other cases, homeowners spend thousands to get the speakers they want – simply because they are attracted to the specs and extra features. So, before you go to the nearest store to buy the speakers, some of our picked speakers below will make it easier for you in choose the best bookshelf speakers.
Table of Contents
5 Best Bookshelf Speakers 2019
We have reviewed 5 Best Bookshelf Speakers and can be the best choice before you decide to buy your favorite speakers. So, let’s see.
1. Edifier R1700BT – Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers
The design Edifier R1700BT may be classic but the operation is completely modern. With built-in Bluetooth connection, you can pair it up with your computer, tablet, or smartphone with the wireless arrangement. It is also compatible with all kinds of operating systems, such as Windows, Android, iOS, or macOS – you get the best of your bargain.
The connection isn’t the only simple thing about this speaker because there are other features to love. The remote control, for instance, can help you with efficient and flawless operation. Feel free to make the volume go up and down, mute or unmute, and switch the input source. The sound quality is perfect and you will get the best experience only. If you can place the speaker at the right place and also the right height – you will get the most impressive outcome and result. Most of the users claim that the sound quality is free from distortion, bright, and surprisingly rich of bass quality. Everything feels right – not too much and yet not too poor either.
In general, Edifier R1700BT can expect a quality device from something that isn’t too expensive. The design won’t disappoint you and you will be satisfied with the overall outcome and the construction finish.
2. Klipsch R-15M – Pair Speakers
If you want to get a quality device that can last harsh treatment and continuous use, Klipsch R-15M can be a good alternative. There are various features to love about the speakers. These features are the reasons for the inclusion of this device as one of the best bookshelf speakers under 200 list.
The Tractrix Horn 90×90 technology can be combined with the aluminum tweeter to produce high-quality extension, good response, and improved imaging. It also incorporates LTS (Linear Travel Suspension) tweeter that can minimize the distortion – for the sake of improved and detailed performance. When such a thing is combined with IMG (Injection Molded Graphite) copper-spun woofers, it will result in an impressive low-frequency response that has a minimal breakup and also distortion. When you pair it up together, you come up with speaker efficiency with the best outcome –way more than the regular class. The IMG woofers alone are impressive. They are light and yet also rigid to deliver a good response in low frequency. Each of the LTS and IMG can function on its own, but when they are paired together, the result is super amazing.
Although some people claim that the sound may not be promising at first, most of them feel quite satisfied after giving it some time. You need to allow enough time to get yourself get used to the speakers. It will open up on its own after a while.
3. Yamaha NS-6490 – 3-Way Speakers
This is another name in the industry that can give you another satisfaction for impressive and high-quality sound. With Yamaha bookshelf speakers NS-6490, you will get a promising device with impressive performance and sound quality result. Yamaha NS-6490 has a 3-way speaker system that will produce clear and soft sounds for low tones, you can place anywhere in your home sound system front or rear speakers. The bass quality, for a starter, is deep and rich. The mid-range is somewhat lively and warm. As if it weren’t enough, the instrumental and vocal passages are super smooth and natural.
A lot of users claim that the design may not be the best. But if you can see past the design, you will reveal a true sound gem that will satisfy your ears. After all, do you buy a speaker for its looks or the sound quality?
4. Sony SSCS5 – 3-Way 3-Driver System (Pair)
Sony is a high-end name in the industry, so you can be sure about the quality built and the outcome. It incorporates 3-speaker and 3-way bass reflex system that will affect the quality sound. It also comes with Super Tweeter for the sake of immersive sound staging and soundstage expansion. That’s why as one of the best bookshelf speakers under $200, it is often included in professional industry and setting. As if it weren’t enough, other features can support and improve the overall quality result of the speaker.
For a starter, Sony SSCS5 speaker offers high-resolution audio for the flawless and perfect sound. It is the uncompromised result with impressive bitrate accuracy. And then there is ultra-high precision tweeter to create a more authentic and faithful sound. With precise and accurate acoustic tuning, you can eliminate the rear sound pressure to deliver bright and natural sound quality. The compact design also helps with balanced distribution and sound expansion.
5. Micca PB42X – Powered Bookshelf Speakers
Micca speakers have this beautiful timeless look kept within the modern design. Connecting it to your devices is easy – you can fix it (to the turntable, computer, or TV) in no time without having to break a sweat. It is easy to place it in any decor in your room – and expect it to blend nicely.
The speaker has improved tonal clarity and balance that would be perfect for any usage. Feel free to play gentle music (usually for the background) or more explosive (and stronger) music. A lot of users claim that they like the modern and clean design, with classic contours and lines and another unique signature style. The magnetic front grill is easy to remove and install. If you want to show off the handsome drivers, you can leave it. The high-performance drivers would produce wide dispersion, accurate imaging, and smooth treble. With carbon fiber woofer that is equipped with rubber surround for better transients. You can also expect richer and deeper bass output.
When you combine these features with the strong 15W and two built-in amplifiers, you get yourself easy connection and also rich sound. With Class-D technology, your ears will never hear anything better or more perfect.
Bookshelf Speaker Buying Guide
When you want to buy the right bookshelf speakers for your entertainment needs, you need to remember that they will produce the best sound at ear level. That’s why this kind of speaker is best placed on the wall mount or stand – not on the floor. This kind of speaker generally has two speaker cones (known as drivers) which are the tweeter and woofer. They are designed to reproduce higher and low sounds. When the signal enters the speaker, it will be divided into high and low frequencies and then sent to the correct driver. The frequency crossover can deliver a more nuanced and smoother sound.
Besides this matter, what other factors to think about in choosing a bookshelf speaker?
- Wired and wireless types. This kind of option goes back to your personal preference. The wireless design will remove the clutter of having to manage the cords and everything. You don’t have to deal with analog input either. However, some people are into the traditional and vintage atmosphere and they are really into all the cables and set up seriously.
- Active and passive speakers. A passive speaker has to get their power from the external amplifier. In general, the speaker consists of the source media player (BluRay, DVD, mp3, etc) that is connected to a power amp/receiver. An active speaker, on the other hand, has each a built-in power amps (one for the tweeter and one for woofer) connected to the mini-jack of the tablet or smartphone. This kind of speaker doesn’t need amp match.
- Wattage and impedance. You want to find the amp with just enough power – not too strong or not too weak either. If you have something that is too weak or too strong, it can damage the drivers. Seriously.
- Sensitivity. It refers to the speakers’ loudness within a given volume and it usually uses decibels as the measurement. This generally applies to the size of the room. A small room may be enough with low sensitivity speakers while a bigger room can handle high sensitivity speakers.
- Connections. Consider how the speaker is connected and whether such an arrangement confuses you or not. There are some speakers with simple and easy connections whereas there are also others with more complicated arrangements. Don’t forget to factor in the speaker wire that generally goes for 16-gauge. If you want to position it in more than 50 feet away, the one with 12 or 14-gauge would be ideal.
- The stand. As it was mentioned before, the speakers need to be mounted so they would be at your ear level. If you use a wooden stand, for example, the result may be boomy because (wooden) furniture has this tendency to vibrate with the music – some frequencies are enhanced. Wall brackets can be a good alternative because they can be more discreet.
These are some of our picks for the best bookshelf speakers under $200 available on the market right now – it’s your decision. So, which one is your choice?